By Marcy Thompson
Picturing The Past 

Barn Is Only Remaining Outbuilding


The barn is the only outbuilding left on the Allison-Deaver property. (Photos courtesy of Dan Bennett)

The barn is the only remaining outbuilding on the farm that Benjamin Allison, William Deaver and Carl and Mae Smith operated for 170 years on the Allison-Deaver property. It was most likely constructed in the 1920s or 1930s on the foundation of a much older structure using a mix of old and new materials.

Evidence of 19th century construction includes thick uncoarsed stone slabs on three sides of the foundation, a central timber dated to 1827 through dendrochronology and hand-hewn mortise and tenon joints with hardwood pegs.

Evidence of 20th century construction includes machine-sawn stud...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017