Picturing The Past: Old Toxaway Baptist Has Two Cemeteries

 

August 28, 2017

Courtesy Photo

Molisa Elmina Summey's headstone is one of three grave markers in the Upper Cemetery that are constructed of square chunks of quartz cemented together, enclosing a marble slab.

Old Toxaway Baptist Church is located four miles south of the town of Rosman. The church was established in 1879 as the Baptist Church of Christ at Toxaway in the community of Galloway, which officially existed as a post office from 1887-1914.

Also known as Toxaway Church, the first reference to it as Old Toxaway Baptist Church did not appear until the 1925 Transylvania Baptist Association...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.






 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017