The Transylvania Times -

Allison-Deaver Restoration Project Completed - Pisgah Forest, NC

 

October 5, 2017

Courtesy Photo

The outside of the house after the work was completed.

The Transylvania County Historical Society (TCHS) has announced completion of an 18-month restoration project at the historic Allison-Deaver House.

The project consisted of the repair of window frames, sashes and siding, along with an upper and lower rear roof replacement, according to a press release. These repairs were deemed necessary after an inspection in early 2016 revealed water leaks into the upper and lower floors of the house, the release said. Shortly after these inspections, the Society began the process of funding the repairs.

The original part of the Allison-Deaver House was built in 1815 by Benjamin Allison and is believed to be the oldest standing frame house west of the Blue Ridge.

William Deaver purchased the property in 1830 and doubled the size of the existing six-room two-story house. In 1840, he raised the roof and built double porches on the front of the house. By 1987, vacant and derelict, the property had been acquired by a developer to provide parking space for a shopping center. Faced with the loss of this historic structure, the Transylvania County Historical Society was formed to purchase the property.

To begin the current process of restoration, the board contacted John Horton, a local architect, who has dedicated 30 years to the preservation of the property, the release said.

Horton drew specifications, developed a scope of work for the project and wrote a request for proposal. Then, the TCHS gathered together a group of people, including Joy Fields, with the Transylvania County Planning Department, and Jennifer Cathey, a restoration specialist, the North Carolina State Historical Preservation Office in Asheville and Preservation North Carolina, to help develop a federal grant request. The request resulted in the awarding of a more than $11,000 federal grant to TCHS.

During the same time, the board began a local fund-raising project, which included the Transylvania County commissioners, the City of Brevard, society members and local citizens, resulting in more than $20,000 being raised.

The contract was awarded to a local firm, Wheel House Builders, which began work in July and finished the project in mid-September.

The investment of care and craftsmanship by the Wheel House crew resulted in an exemplary repair of the house, according to the release

Earlier, the TCHS board had made the decision to follow the Secretary of the Interior guidelines on the repair of the house. Although this was a requirement of the federal grant, the board committed to the standards for all future work as stewards of their two properties as well.

As with many projects involving a 200-year-old home, there was more to repair than the TCHS originally determined and the budget was exceeded. The society would welcome any help to provide in meeting this shortfall.

Courtesy Photo

The second-floor wall above the rear porch opened up. Insulation was added and the damaged siding replaced. Extra care was taken to seal everything to prevent future water intrusion.

Contact the TCHS at P.O. Box 2061, Brevard, NC 28712 or call (828) 884-5137 and it will be returned.

On Oct. 21, the society will be conducting an evening of storytelling at the Allison-Deaver House. "Down By the Barn" stories and music will start at 5:30 p.m. There will be mountain tales, music and slightly spooky stories, followed by marshmallow roasting around the fire.

The Transylvania County Historical Society is a non–profit organization aimed at preserving and promoting the county's cultural and architectural heritage through research, restoration, historic documentation and interpretation.TCHS provides historically based educational opportunities for school groups, interpretive talks and building tours at the Allison-Deaver House and MaGaha Chapel.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017