The Transylvania Times -

Articles written by marcy thompson

Sorted by date  Results 51 - 75 of 160

Page Up



East Main Street Part Of National Register

The East Main Street Historic District represents historical, architectural and cultural importance to the city of Brevard. The district, encompassing East Main from Rice Street to Wilson Drive, was...

 

Brevard's Main Street Is A Historic District

The Main Street Historic District in Brevard was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. The district is located in the center of town and covers approximately 13 acres. The...

 

Early Transylvanians Were Quite Self-Sufficient

After the United States gained its independence from Great Britain, the mountains of western North Carolina and what would become Tennessee were opened for settlement. The majority of the early...

 

Miss Hattie Collected Holiday Postcards

Hattie Aiken was born on Sept. 7, 1886. The daughter of William and Mary Lankford Aiken and the granddaughter of B.C. and Amanda Morris Lankford, Hattie spent most of her life in the family home...

 

Smathers Was Household Business Name

Paul Smathers worked in the automotive and machine business in Transylvania and Buncombe counties. In 1913 he started an auto transfer business in Brevard with his father-in-law, T.W. Whitmire....

 

Stamps, Victory Gardens Helped War Effort

World War II had a big impact on the availability of goods in the United States. As mentioned last week, citizens helped with the war effort at home by collecting scrap metal to be recycled into...

 

Recycling Prevalent During World War II

Although the idea of recycling seems new to those who have grown up in the age of mass production and disposable goods, it is not a modern concept. The practice of reusing and recycling has ebbed and...

 

Old Gaging Stations Still Perform Useful Functions

Gaging stations are facilities used by hydrologists to monitor streams, rivers, lakes or other bodies of water. Instruments at these stations collect information such as water height, discharge and...

 

McLarty Oversaw Expansion At BC

When Emmett K. McLarty became president of Brevard College in the summer of 1957, he saw the need to strengthen academics, particularly the science, music and arts departments. Within two years he...

 

College Saw Great Growth Following War

Following World War II there was renewed sense of growth at Brevard College. Enrollment rose to record numbers. The increased number of students and improved economic conditions combined to start a...

 

BC Started During The Great Depression

Brevard College got its start during the Great Depression. Although times were tough the institution had big dreams. Almost immediately there was a need for additional space. Plans included a new...

 

Brevard College Has Undergone Transitions

In April 1933 the Women's Missionary Council of the Methodist Church, South, decided to close Brevard Institute after 35 years of operation. Brevard Institute had grown out of Rev. and Mrs. Fitch Tayl...

 

Baseball Standouts Grew Up On These Diamonds

Baseball grew in popularity throughout North Carolina following the Civil War. By the late 1800s most towns, colleges and high schools had teams. Transylvania County has been home to town teams, indus...

 

Locals Play Golf For More Than 100 Years

It is generally accepted that modern golf developed in Scotland in the 15th and 16th centuries. The earliest U.S. golf organization dates to the late 1700s, but it was not until the late 1800s to earl...

 

BHS Has Fielded Teams Since 1920

Brevard's first high school opened in 1908. Almost from its beginning Brevard High had intramural sports. The earliest record of teams competing against other schools are from 1922 when a men's...

 

Sports Have Played Prominent Role In County

The Smithsonian traveling exhibit, "Hometown Teams," is now up at the library. As part of the Museum on Main Street program, the goal is to bring the Smithsonian to small towns across Amer-ica and to...

 

Springhouses Were Once A Local Necessity

Springhouses were an important building on farms, large and small, in the past. First, they protected the clean water supply from debris and animals. Second, they provided natural refrigeration for...

 

County Featured In The State Magazine

The first state magazine for North Carolina was published on June 3, 1933. The State: A Weekly Survey of North Carolina provided readers with a look at happenings across the state. Editor Carl Goerch...

 

Many Newspapers Have Served The County

Many newspapers have served Transylvania County since the late 1800s. In 1955 The Transylvania Times ran a contest asking folks to bring in the earliest local newspaper they owned. Mrs. J.W. McMinn...

 

Early Maps Depict Brevard, Transylvania County

The map collection in the Local History Room at the Transylvania County Library has more than 500 maps. This includes a variety of maps covering different areas of the county, the Pisgah National...

 

Old Certificates Are Interesting Documents

Scripophily is the study and collection of stock and bond certificates. Old certificates may be valued for their historical significance or aesthetic value. The certificates referred to in this...

 

Driverless Car Appeared Here In 1937

In August 1937 a Safety Parade was held in downtown Brevard. The feature attraction was a driverless car. The "magic" car was actually piloted by remote control by Capt. J.J. Lynch, who was riding in...

 

Floods, Time Destroyed Several Local Mills

Last week's Picturing the Past featured the Breese Mill and the King Mill located on King's Creek in Brevard. Both mills were destroyed by floods in 1916. Technological advances and improved...

 

Water And Mills Were A Natural Fit Here

Transylvania County has an abundance of creeks, streams and rivers with shoals, cascades and waterfalls. All of this water has brought not only people but industry to the area. Mills were among the...

 

Cedar Mountain Has Been Home To Several Camps

The Cedar Mountain area has been home to numerous camps through the years. The earliest mention of Cedar Mountain campers in the Sylvan Valley News appeared on Aug. 20, 1909. It read, "Professor Hugh...

 

Page Down

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018