The Transylvania Times -

By Marcy Thompson
Picturing The Past 

Kapp Started County's Bookmobile Service

 

Panels on the outside of the 1949 bookmobile were raised and patrons could make their selections. From left: Mrs. Elizabeth Kapp, Mrs. Burt Kessing the volunteer librarian, Hal Smith III and Mrs. Oliver Orr, library board chair.

Brevard's U.D.C. (United Daughters of the Confederacy) Library officially became a public library in January 1944. In order to receive state aid, financial support was also required from the town of Brevard and Transylvania County. In addition, a professional librarian had to be hired. Mrs. Elizabeth Kapp was appointed as librarian with a salary of $25 a month; she worked part-time.

Mrs. Kapp quickly saw the need to expand library services beyond the walls of the little green shack on the courthouse lawn. In 1945 she began rotating small book collections for one month periods at countr...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 07/19/2018 20:13