The Transylvania Times -

By Marcy Thompson
Picturing The Past 

Downtown Brevard Changes Gradually

 

August 1910-Note the cannon and cannon balls in the middle of the walkway. There was also a drinking fountain and fire hydrant.

Over the next several weeks Picturing the Past will look at downtown Brevard - its development, what's changed, and what hasn't.

When the town was originally laid out in the 1860s, it included a town square for public use. The primary streets were Main Street running east and west and Broad Street running south out of town. Broad Street did not originally go north beyond the courthouse.

The first courthouse was a two-story wooden structure on the northwest corner of the town square.

In 1881 the current brick courthouse was completed. The courthouse tower originally had stars on each...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 07/15/2019 14:34