The Transylvania Times -

By Kevin Fuller
Staff Writer 

Fire Damages E. Main Street Building - Brevard NC


Last updated 1/12/2016 at 6:39am

Crews were at the East Main Street location this morning cleaning up after the fire. (Times photo by Kevin Fuller)

The building on East Main Street in Brevard that used to house Dugan's Pub was heavily damaged Sunday after an electrical fire tore through an upstairs level.

Brevard firefighters responded to reports of smoke and fire about 5:30 a.m. Sunday to find heavy smoke coming from the building at 100 E. Main St.

According to Capt. Adam Hughey, a man living in an upstairs apartment told firefighters his dog had woken him up and he noticed flames and smoke in the building.

The fire is being investigated by the Transylvania County Fire Marshal's Office and appears to be the result of an electrical issue in the building.

Hughey said there were no injuries caused as a result of the fire.

Connestee, Little River and North Transylvania fire departments assisted Brevard in extinguishing the fire, which took about an hour. The fire caused extensive damage to the upstairs floor of the building.

A fire recovery crew was on hand this morning, patching the roof and doing work on the damaged building that also houses Salon on Mane on the bottom floor.

It wasn't clear if the fire or water from the fire fighters had damaged the salon, which was closed this morning.

The site of the former Dugan's has remained empty for several years.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021