The Transylvania Times -

By Marcy Thompson
Picturing The Past 

West Probart Was Residential Focus In 1900s

 

This early photograph of the Red House was taken before Probart Street was paved.

In the early 1900s West Probart Street was one of the most desirable streets to live on in Brevard. The residential area stretches for a little over half a mile beginning at Caldwell Street. It is convenient to downtown and was near the railroad depot in the days when many people arrived by train. The street is lined with large homes, most of which were built in the first quarter of the 20th century.

Located about a quarter of a mile from Caldwell at the intersection of W. Probart St. and Depot St. is the Red House Inn. Originally constructed around 1851 as a general store, the Act Su...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019