The Transylvania Times -

By Marcy Thompson
Picturing The Past 

Franklin Hotel Offered Several Amenities

 

Last updated 9/12/2016 at 5:46pm

The photograph shows the size of the Franklin Hotel from the front. Large wings off both sides of the back created a V shaped building.

The Franklin Hotel opened in Brevard in July 1900. J. Frances Hayes and his business partners had purchased the Hendersonville-Brevard Railway Telegraph and Telephone Company, renamed it Transylvania Railroad Company and planned to expand the line beyond Brevard. They agreed to construct a luxury hotel in Brevard to garner support for a $25,000 bond to aid in financing the rail line extension.

The 80-acre property included tennis courts and a small lake in a park-like setting. The hotel, which could accommodate 150-200 guests, had a large veranda where cool evenings could be enjoyed. Th...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019