The Transylvania Times -

By Marcy Thompson
Picturing The Past 

Franklin Hotel Offered Several Amenities


September 12, 2016

The photograph shows the size of the Franklin Hotel from the front. Large wings off both sides of the back created a V shaped building.

The Franklin Hotel opened in Brevard in July 1900. J. Frances Hayes and his business partners had purchased the Hendersonville-Brevard Railway Telegraph and Telephone Company, renamed it Transylvania Railroad Company and planned to expand the line beyond Brevard. They agreed to construct a luxury hotel in Brevard to garner support for a $25,000 bond to aid in financing the rail line extension.

The 80-acre property included tennis courts and a small lake in a park-like setting. The hotel, which could accommodate 150-200 guests, had a large veranda where cool evenings could be enjoyed. Th...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019