The Transylvania Times -

By Marcy Thompson
Picturing The Past 

Shaffer Ran Rosman Logging Business


Last updated 12/12/2016 at 7:06pm

The Shaffer home near Eastatoe Falls.

Shaffer Lumber was an unincorporated sole-proprietorship logging business owned and operated by Eugene A. Shaffer. Shaffer moved his young family to Rosman from Pennsylvania in 1910 to log the rugged area south of town.

He leased iron rails from Southern Railway and a 30-foot wide right-of-way from local property owners to build a rail line from Rosman across the French Broad River, past Shipman Fields, and then across the Middle Fork. The line continued to a flat where he built a sawmill at the present location of the Red Lion Inn. A spur along Shoal Creek reached as far as Eastatoe Fa...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019