The Transylvania Times -

By Marcy Thompson
Picturing The Past 

Tannery, Camp Opened In Early 1900s


January 23, 2017

Stone fireplace in the original lodge at Eagle's Nest Camp.

A look back at the headlines of yesteryear offers a glimpses at what was occurring in Transylvania County 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 years ago. This week Picturing the Past will focus on one news story from each of the years of 1917, 1927, and 1937.

In 1917 Joseph Silversteen opened Transylvania Tanning in Brevard. The population of Brevard was expected to nearly double due to the demand for skilled labor in operating the plant. Up to 150 men were employed just to construct the complex of buildings. The main building was a 2-story structure measuring 750 x 70 feet. It could house sev...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017

Rendered 07/15/2018 17:40