The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Gillespie Cemetery Was First Public Burial Ground

 

August 21, 2017

In 1907, H. Clayton Gillespie established the Gillespie Cemetery Company to provide a public burying place in Brevard. There were already approximately 30 graves on his property on the southern side of town. The original H.C. Gillespie Cemetery Grounds covered 1.09 acres and was divided into 84 plots. The property survey was filed and registered on Dec. 11, 1915.

Evergreen Cemetery was originally a separate cemetery. It was first registered on October 31, 1940. However, about 20 markers in that section pre-date this time.

The earliest is that of Della R. Reid, who died on Jan. 31, 1...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018