Irma Causes Widespread Outages

 

September 14, 2017

Park Baker

Luckily, no one was injured after this tree fell on this home on Freeman Drive Monday around 5 p.m. The Red Cross is helping a father and son who lived in the home.

The remnants of Hurricane Irma left their mark on Transylvania County, dropping at least 4 inches of rains on parts, cancelling school Tuesday and causing numerous power outages.

On Tuesday morning, Haywood EMC, which provides electricity mostly in the county's Western end, reported that 5,669 of its 6,703 customers were without power.

As of noon on Wednesday, the number still without power totaled 536.

On Tuesday, Duke Energy reported more than 140 customers without power in the county.

As of noon on Wednesday, the number was down to about 80, including 46 customers off the Old Rosman Highway.

Duke Energy had an estimated restoration of 6 p.m., Friday, at the latest.

As well as Transylvania County Schools and Brevard Academy cancelling classes Tuesday, the Board of Commissioners cancelled its regular meeting.


Power Outage Warning

As people use alternative sources of power, North Carolina health officials are cautioning people about the risk of using gasoline-powered equipment, like generators, charcoal or gas grills, camping stoves and kerosene heaters, in enclosed spaces.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced whenever fuel is burned. In an enclosed space such as a home, garage, car or camper, carbon monoxide can build up to deadly levels without anyone noticing.

Low or moderate levels of carbon monoxide can cause dizziness, nausea, headaches, confusion or fainting.

High levels of carbon monoxide can kill people in minutes if they do not immediately get fresh air.

•Do not use gasoline-powered engines in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. Use them outdoors, at least 20 feet from doors, windows and vents.

•Do not use charcoal grills or propane stoves indoors, even in a fireplace.

•Do not use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short amount of time.

•Do not idle your car or truck in the garage, even if the garage door to the outside is open. Fumes can build up quickly in the garage and living area of your home.

•Keep rooms well ventilated.

•Read and follow all instructions that accompany fuel-burning devices. Use the proper fuel and make sure there is enough air for ventilation and fuel burning.

•Install and maintain a carbon monoxide alarm in your home.

•If you experience symptoms of dizziness, nausea, headaches, confusion or fainting, you may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning. Get to fresh air immediately and seek medical care.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017