The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Franklin Park Was Once A Lake By A Hotel

 

October 16, 2017

The Franklin Hotel, built by J. Frances Hays around 1900 on East Main St., was surrounded by an expansive lawn, acres of trees, and a small lake. In 1909 Hays sold the hotel and 80 acres to the Franklin Park Improvement Company for $35,000.

A survey prepared by A. L. Harden and R. C. Bailey at the time shows details of the proposed neighborhood from E. Main Street to King Creek and Rice Street to Park Street. Included within the area are Lakeview Ave., Hilt St., Robinson Ave., and Cascade Ave., which is East French Broad Street today. At its center is a four-acre park with a two-acre la...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018