The Transylvania Times -

Bearcats Blank Blue Devils For First Round Victory


November 13, 2017

Jeremiah Reed

Brevard's Anthony Fields fights for a few extra yards as he's brought to the ground by a Bearcat defender following a handoff in Friday's first round game. Hendersonville used a 28-point explosion in the second quarter to take a 35-0 halftime lead, going on to win by the final of 49-0.

Friday night, the Brevard Blue Devils made the short trip across county lines to face the Hendersonville Bearcats with a first-round upset on the forefront of their minds.

Unfortunately, the Bearcats had other plans and put together another dazzling performance, shutting out Brevard 49-0 just two weeks after defeating the Blue Devils 43-0.

The game started off a bit slower than the previous matchup and the pace favored Brevard.

However, Hendersonville cranked things up in the second quarter, churning out 28 points, including a long interception return for a touchdown that gave them a 35-0 lead just before halftime.

Brevard received the opening kickoff and started from their own 36-yard line.

A pair of runs from Stevi Benjmain was enough for a first down, but back-to-back penalties made it second-and-22 at the 24.

On third down, a Bearcat blitz brought down Mitchell Johnson in the pocket and Hendersonville took over at their 45-yard line following a punt.

The Bearcats immediately completed a 10-yard pass to move into Brevard territory.

The Blue Devils came up big on third down, forcing an incompletion, but their ensuing offensive possession resulted in a three-and-out.

Hendersonville started just inside their own territory and used a second-down completion to move to the Brevard 39.

The Blue Devils were able to force another third-and-long situation, but quarterback Alex Williford kept it himself and scrambled all the way inside Brevard's five-yard line.

After a false start penalty backed Hendersonville up to just inside the 10, Williford rolled out to his right and connected with Tykel Landrum for the game's opening score.

Brevard finally moved the chains on their next drive, as Johnson connected on a short pass to Luke Ellenberger.

But that would be all the offense could muster and the Bearcats took over at their 29-yard line following a punt.

Williford scrambled for 16 yards on the first-down play before Ty'rese Hunt rumbled for eight more yards.

Facing third-and-four, an option pitch moved the ball inside the Blue Devils' 30 as the game entered the second quarter.

From there, it was all Hendersonville.

The Bearcats scored their second TD of the game as Williford connected with Nasir Artis in the end zone, making the score 14-0 with 11:09 in the first half.

Unfortunately, the offensive woes continued as Brevard went three-and-out once again.

Hendersonville started the next drive from their 45-yard line and managed to convert a third-and-seven to get the ball to Brevard's 33-yard line.

A personal foul on the Bearcats backed them up to midfield, but it did nothing to stop their momentum.

Another completion to Ensley moved the ball all the way to the Blue Devils' 14 and three plays later Hunt scored on a four-yard handoff up the middle.

The PAT made it 21-0 with 4:02 left in the second quarter.

Brevard looked to be in business on their next drive following a deep completion to Ellenberger that moved the ball to Hendersonville's 25.

But after taking a sack on third down, the Blue Devils went for it on fourth-and-15 from the 30, but came up empty and penalties after the play gave the Bearcats possession all the way at Brevard's 40.

Jeremiah Reed

Quarterback Mitchell Johnson rolls out of the pocket in search of a receiver on the near sideline. Hendersonville kept Johnson and the Blue Devil offense under heavy pressure all night.

That was all Hendersonville needed as they struck on the very first play with a long TD pass down the sideline to Ensley.

Brevard's next drive started all the way at Hendersonville's 20 thanks to a personal foul penalty following a long return by Ellenberger.

However, it just wasn't in the cards for the Blue Devils.

A pass over the middle from Johnson was intercepted by Ensley and returned all the way to the house as the Bearcats took a commanding 35-0 lead.

Hendersonville tacked on another TD through the air in the third quarter and followed that up with the game's final score on the ground in the fourth quarter.

The loss brings an end to the Blue Devils' season.

Brevard began the year with a promising 5-1 start, but after defeating East Henderson in their conference opener the Blue Devils dropped five straight games, all to conference opponents, to finish up the season 6-6.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019