The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: New Schools Accommodated Growing Population


February 19, 2018

Courtesy photo

Brevard Primary is today the offices of the Register of Deeds and Tax Administration.

This week Picturing the Past continues the history of Brevard schools through the mid-20th century. After the old 1908 schoolhouse was declared unsafe during the summer of 1936, all 536 elementary students were moved into the building originally constructed as the high school in 1919.

The Works Progress Administration provided about 70 percent of the cost for a new primary grades school on the corner of Broad and Morgan streets. The WPA also provided most of the labor. On March 14, 1938, 240 students and six teachers moved into the new building. There was now room for 60 pupils per cl...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018