The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Businesses Expanded To Meet Population Boom

 

March 5, 2018

Courtesy photo

This 1982 photograph of West Main Street shows an unappealing streetscape with no trees or plantings and cracked and damaged sidewalks and curbs.

Between 1930 and 1970 the population of Brevard more than doubled, from 2,339 to 5,243. Residents were spreading out and had more access to transportation. Businesses slowly began expanding beyond the center of town during the mid-part of the century.

Heading south from downtown, the Sunset Motel (1955) and Triangle Drive-In (1956) opened at the intersection of the Rosman Highway and Country Club Road. Transylvania Community Hosp-ital (1942), Brevard High School (1959), and Brevard Country Club (1939) were all located on Country Club Road. More businesses were opening along the Rosman...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018