The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Garden Clubs Enriched County's Communities

 

March 26, 2018

Courtesy photo

In 1950, the Brevard Garden Club placed this marker at the intersection of Caldwell Street and U.S. 64 near Brevard College in honor of those who served in World War II. It was the first Blue Star Marker in North Carolina.

The first garden club in the U.S. formed in 1891 in Athens, Ga., after a group of 12 women began sharing plants and cuttings. As the women's club movement grew over the next several decades, more and more garden clubs were created. In addition to private gardens and flower shows, they were active in their communities.

The Brevard Garden Club was established in 1937 with 25 members to study garden design and flower arrangement, as well as for civic improvement and beautification. They held monthly meetings with educational presentations.

While club members were women, participation in t...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018