The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Key Role The Township Plays In Local Government

 

July 2, 2018

Courtesy photo

The English Chapel has been an active church since 1860. The early building was also used as a school for families in that part of Brevard Township prior to the creation of the Pisgah National Forest.

Over the last few weeks, Picturing the Past has been looking at the history of Transylvania County through each of its townships. It leads to the questions of, what is a township and what is it significance?

When the North Carolina government was restructured following the Civil War the state experimented with township government. Under this system, counties were subdivided into townships, with their own elected officials who held limited governmental powers. Although this form of governing only lasted a couple of years, townships did continue to hold responsibility for road constructio...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 10/08/2018 23:12