The Transylvania Times -

National Park Fee Money To Operate Parks During Shutdown

 

January 7, 2019

Motorcylists ride on The Blue Ridge Parkway in Pisgah Forest. Funding for national parks has been up in the air after a government shutdown. (Times photo by Kevin Fuller)

The Trump administration has announced that it will reopen areas of the National Park System closed due to the partial federal government shutdown using money collected from visitor fees.

National parks were expected to collect an estimated $310 million this year, though fees will be less than predicted because of the loss of fee collection during the government shutdown, now totaling more than $6 million. National parks that collect fees keep on average 80 percent of the money they collect, while the remaining 20 percent of funds are available for projects for which parks can compete.

Na...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 05/22/2019 23:31