The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Looking At A Brief History Of The Canteen Café

 

January 14, 2019

The Canteen Café was once located where Mayberry's Soups & Sandwiches is today. (Courtesy photo)

The Canteen Café, a long-time fixture in downtown Brevard, opened in the summer of 1928 by W.E. "Elzie" Shipman. Shipman only operated it for a brief time before selling the business to E.O. Shields of Rosman in the fall.

Shields then sold the business to J.C. "Dock" Galloway who ran it for several years. Galloway advertised the establish-ment as being of service to the Home Folks - 52 weeks a year, seven days a week, 20 hours a day. Later advertisements stated they opened at 5 a.m. and closed at 2 a.m. During the period when Galloway owned the Canteen he moved the business to the W...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 07/17/2019 00:18