The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Railroad Played Huge Role In Expansion Of The County

 

March 4, 2019

Courtesy Photo

Built in 1886 for the Knoxville & Ohio Railroad, this locomotive operated as Southern Railways' engine 167 after Southern absorbed the K & O in 1894. It was used for nearly 40 additional years.

The arrival of rail service led to a boom in growth and tourism in Brevard. The first eight months of operation saw 8,204 passengers. Passenger revenue was $2,627 and freight revenue $2,268.

Unfortunately, debt caused problems from the beginning though, and within a short time H&B was in receivership and then sold to court-appointed trustees. In 1899, the Toxaway Company purchased it for $54,450 and reorganized as the Transylvania Railroad Company. They extended the rail line 9.5 miles to Rosman in 1901 and an additional 10.7 miles to Lake Toxaway by June 1903. In 1906, the rail line...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 08/18/2019 02:37