The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Dora Patton Made History With Her Jury Duty

 

March 18, 2019

Dora and Charles Patton lived on Morgan Street, just a block and half west of Patton's Service Station on the corner of Morgan and Broad streets. Dora Patton's Welfare Office was located in the courthouse originally and later on West Jordan Street.

In 1946, North Carolina passed an amendment to the state constitution allowing women to serve on juries. In Transylvania County the vote was 2,237 against and 2,207 in favor.

Mrs. C.Y. (Dora) Patton was the first woman to serve on a Transylvania County jury on Dec. 4, 1946. Interestingly, the December jury list posted in the Nov. 14, 1946, edition of The Transylvania Times did not include Patton's name, although her husband, C.Y. Patton, was listed. She participated for two uncontested divorce cases, both of which were granted.

It is not surprising that Patton would be the first loc...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 09/13/2019 02:34