The Transylvania Times -

Picturing The Past: Community Clubs Helped Bring People Together

 

April 8, 2019

Courtesy Photo

The Dunn's Rock Community Roadside Market had nine stalls for the sale of produce, preserves, flowers, furniture and other goods in 1955.

In the late 1940s, two groups, Western North Carolina Associated Communities and Western North Carolina Community Development Association, undertook efforts to assist small rural communities scattered through western North Carolina address a wide range of community needs.

Transylvania County's rural neighborhoods began organizing through community clubs in the early-to-mid 1950s. Groups renovated old schoolhouses or built new buildings to serve as community centers in Balsam Grove, Cathey's Creek, Cedar Mountain, Dunn's Rock, Eastatoe, Lake Toxaway, Little River, Pisgah Forest, Quebec, S...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019