The Transylvania Times -

McGaha Chapel Still Reuniting The Community

Picturing The Past

 

November 25, 2019

Fresh carnations and greenery add to the festive atmosphere inside the 147-year-old McGaha Chapel during the annual holiday singing. (Courtesy photo)

The McGaha Chapel, completed in 1872 and situated on a wooded hillside along the old Johnstone Turnpike, is a reminder of a by-gone time when people walked, rode horseback or came in wagons to their house of worship and listened outside its open windows, if all the pews were filled.

The chapel is a symbol of reconciliation, serving as a means to reunite a community and families divided during the Civil War. The men of the area built a small, sturdy one-room structure of poplar from the surrounding forest. Hand-pressed glass filled the eight windows and allowed for plenty of light.

The han...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019