Anglers Dot The Davidson During Opening Of Trout Waters – Pisgah National Forest

 

Last updated 4/7/2021 at 3:14pm

A beautiful spring day Saturday greeted anglers on the Davidson River. (Times photos by Matt McGregor)

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission opened approximately 900 miles of hatchery supported trout waters last Saturday, April 3.

The season will run to Feb. 28, 2022, according to a press release from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

"It's a big day, and for a lot of folks, it's a tradition to get out with friends and family," said Lee Sherrill, program coordinator at the Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education on Fish Hatchery Road.

To give trout anglers opportunities to plan fishing trips in advance, the Wildlife Commission has posted the full Hatchery Supported Trout Waters stocking schedule on its website that provides information on what days each water is being stocked. Anglers can search by county and by month.


Hatchery Supported Trout Waters, which are marked by green-and-white signs, had been closed since Feb. 28, so that Commission staff can stock the waters with trout, the press release said.

Staff will continue to stock certain streams through August. Staff will stock many of these waters monthly, although they will stock some heavily fished waters more frequently.

Over the six months, staff will stock up to 787,000 trout - 96 percent of which will average 10 inches in length, with the other 4 percent exceeding 14 inches in length.

Hatchery Supported Trout Waters are open to public fishing; however, many of those miles are privately owned so the Commission said it urges anglers to respect the property they are fishing on and to remember that landowners can take away access if they feel their property is being misused.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 04/12/2021 08:31