The Transylvania Times -

A Look At The Past: The Shaffer Lumber Company

 

Last updated 9/6/2021 at 10:53am

Henretta "Etta" and Thomas in 1909 at the corner of Broad and Main streets. (Courtesy of Shaffer Collection, Transylvania Heritage Museum)

Editor's Note: Rebecca Suddeth, the Transylvania Heritage Museum curator, provided the following information:

Eugene and Henrietta Shaffer and their young son, Thomas moved, from Pennsylvania to Transyl-vania County in 1909. With the backing of his wife's father, Eben Campbell, Eugene started the Shaffer Lumber Company. He lay a rail line from Rosman across the French Broad, through the Middlefork community, and to a sawmill he constructed at the site of today's Riverbend Lodge south of Rosman. The Shaffer family took rooms in the Aethelwold Hotel until their home was completed in 1910....



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021