The Transylvania Times -

From The Heritage Museum: The Mountain Lilly

 

Last updated 9/27/2021 at 12:42pm

The wood from the Mountain Lily was used to build the Horse Shoe Baptist Church. Her bell was hung in the belfry and could be heard clearly every Sunday. (Photo courtesy of the Rowell Bosse North Carolina Room, Transylvania County Library)

Editor's note: The following comes from Rebecca Suddeth, the Transylvania Heritage Museum curator.

Around 1876, Congress passed a bill granting $25,000 to improve the French Broad River and make it navigable. Several years later – after the channel was cleaned and deepened – Col. S. V. Pickens, of Hendersonville, began The French Broad Steamboat Company.

Their goal was to link Brevard, Hendersonville and Asheville. Christened the Mountain Lily, the first (and only) steamboat was designed to carry passen-gers and freight. Expect-ations for the venture were high; on the day she launc...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 10/16/2021 07:35