The Transylvania Times -

From The History Museum Electricity Comes To Brevard

 

Last updated 10/4/2021 at 4:15pm

The Clayton Hotel, built by Joseph Clayton in 1899, was located at the corner of North Caldwell and West Main streets in Brevard. (Courtesy photo fom The Rowell Bosse North Carolina Room, Transylvania County Library)

In the rainy spring of 1906, Brevard Light and Power built its first coal-fired, 50-horsepower steam plant near the railroad depot in town. An electric dynamo sent high voltage electricity to a transformer at the corner of Main and Broad streets. From there, the power fanned out to a row of arc lamp street-lights.

After weeks of construction, testing, runn-ing wires and installing streetlights, workers turned on the first electric lights during a damp evening in early March. The news-paper reported that,"The arc light at the corner of Main and Caldwell caused Joe Clayton's hens to desert t...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 10/27/2021 13:59