The Transylvania Times -

From The Museum Summer Colony Homes Of The Past

 

Last updated 10/25/2021 at 1:11pm

Built about 1858, Chestnut Hill was the summer home of the Rev. James Hanckel. (Photo courtesy of the Rowell Bosse North Carolina Room, Transylvania County Library)

Editor's note: Rebecca Suddeth, the curator of the Transylvania Heritage Museum, provided the following information.

To escape the heat and disease, wealthy planters from the low country of South Carolina bought large tracts of land, built fashionable homes, and brought their families and slaves to the French Broad River valley in the 1830s. The first of these families settled in the Flat Rock area of Henderson County, but later arrivals moved up the river valley into what would become Transylvania County in 1861.

Francis Johnstone purchased thousands of acres along the French Broad and b...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 11/26/2021 03:13